Tuesday, 19 February 2013

Stylish Patterns

Sorry dear readers, I haven't forgotten about you. I've been busy with open uni essays recently. I even had to have my mother confiscate my sewing machine so I would get things done instead of doing accidental sewing. Good news is I only have one essay to go so I thought I could take a break and share these delightful vintage patterns I was lucky enough to get my mitts on. My dear friend Jen came across the patterns when she'd been sorting through her Nan's stuff and she thought I might like to have a look at them. Needless to say I was teensy bit excited when she brought them over all the way from England. 

The patterns


Two of the patterns are by a British company Style Patterns Ltd and the last one is a Sunday People Pattern. Unfortunately the envelopes don't have years on them, but from the patterns I would say they're form the 1940's and 1950s, the Sunday People Pattern maybe even from the 60s. T'internet is failing me when looking for other information on the company which is a shame as it would be interesting to know more. I'm sure I've read something about the history of some of the English pattern companies in a blog, but I can't for the life of me remember who's blog it was, I'll let you know if it comes back to me.

Pattern pieces with holes on them!


Singer Advert

The patterns are in excellent condition and the actual pattern pieces don't have any markings on them, but instead they have the holes for doing tailor's tacks, how twee is that? The instructions sheets cute too and the advert for the Touch&Sew Singer admist the sewing instruction is just adorable. And the best bit is that all the patterns are in a size 40 bust which means I'll need to tweak it a bit, but much, hurrah! I can't wait to try one them out, but I suspect I need to finish a few other projects first ... Talking of which the dotty top you saw a sneak peak of in the last post is coming along fine. I just need to hem it and its done, but more about that in the next post. I'm going to go stroke the vintage patterns.  Ta-ra for now.

1 comment:

  1. Essi, you lucky duck! Your 1960s pattern may be from a womens magazine. I know here in Australia that from time to time some of the womens mags would have patterns produced that you could order via coupon. I've got one here that I picked up from an op shop. I'd have to dig out the packet to remember which magazine it was.
    So if "Sunday People" was a British magazine in the 60s, you may be able to solve the mystery.

    ReplyDelete